Sunday, June 13, 2010

Time IS of the essence

Hey Family,

Another Sunday afternoon has arrived. The weeks go by so fast I think I'm getting dizzy. Brenda asked a good question that I think we as a family ought to discuss together. She asked "What are some suggestions of how to make sure to slow down and take time for the important things and keep up with all of the demands of life at the same time.?" The first thought is to prioritize. When we do this honestly we often find that there are allot of things in our lives that we think are important when in reality they are not. Make a list of the things we spend our time on each 24 hour period we call a day. Then list them in order of importance with an estimate on how much time they take. Be honest. Things like TV, games, entertainment reading, time on the computer, sleeping/napping, hobbies, eating, talking on the phone or to a friend and the such may need some adjusting. Wholesome entertainment is a good thing when in check but entertainment in general is way overrated. We must be about the business Heavenly Father sent us here to accomplish. In life there are good things and there are vital things give most of your time to the vital things.
OK family--- other suggestions?
Kimberly shared a cute story about Austin. We all want to go to heaven and TOGETHER! Kim you are not weak only human and I'm glad you want to do better, that's the idea.
By the way is there a way for you all to read the comments on my blog?? I hope so, if not we may need to find another way to do this. Let me know.
Brenda and Kimberly were the only ones to comment on last weeks blog. I hope others saw it. Let me know.
I love you all and know that the Lord will bless and magnify your righteous efforts. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is true. LIVE IT.

Love DAD England

2 comments:

  1. This is Maggie. I sat down at the computer to comment about five times last week, and kept deleting them cause I really didn't have a lot to add.
    All five times I started by saying how wonderful it was to spend time with you. Our weeks in Idaho are always highlights in our year and we treasure them. Darren and Laura talk about you frequently and it makes me ache to be closer. They say that it takes a village to raise a child. Wouldn't it be wonderful if I could hand pick my village? I wish that my kids could spend more time with cousins, aunts, uncles and particularly with Grandma and Grandpa. Y'all are extraordinary and righteous influences. Sometimes I fear that we don't get enough time with you. (I can say y'all - I live in the south.)
    It was sweet for me to see that the family bonds and the love ran just as deep this time as it always has. Time apart and, for our kids, even a little unfamiliarity didn't diminish the love at all. I know that families are eternal. What a very precious truth that we have!

    As for demands on our time, I recommend scheduling and setting a routine. For example, no matter how important I know scriptures are, unless I have a set routine that includes scriptures, they don't get read. Lately I have forgone reading the cereal boxes in the morning and read my scriptures instead. I get a few milk drops on them occassionally as I balance getting breakfast for my kids, eating my own and reading. And perhaps I don't have time to deeply ponder them, but it starts my mornings in the right frame of mind and then I can do my pondering while I'm scrubbing the dishes or folding Laundry. I rarely forgo breakfast and that means I rarely forgo scriptures.


    Dad, I am postitively thrilled that you have started this blog. One of the things I miss the most is your preachin'. You just need to add a picture of a chair.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry my comment is posted late; last week was too too busy, just like we are discussing.

    I completely agree with Maggie about scheduling. That is the only way I get the vitals done sometimes. Only thing is, it is hard to schedule all the vital things. I find it so hard to make sure I get positive one on one time with each of my kids. I want that, and I feel like it slips from me most days. Any ideas on how to schedule that?

    And Dad, yes, we call see the comments that are posted too.

    ReplyDelete